Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Meeting Marcia Ball

It first happened at Taste Addison. I liked her East Texas/Louisana music with her honky-tonk style keyboard playing. So did Kenny. We walked to the front and got right up to the stage. Between songs I caught her attention and asked for her credentials hanging around her neck. Wordlessly she shook her head as if somewhat put back that someone would even ask for such. But they got in her way so she took them off and placed them atop her instrument. (Don't know why the term is plural since it's just one plastic ID). The "tall one" continued to play, and Kenny and I stayed, listened and often moved to the music. Hers was the closing act of the three-day festival. At the end of her set she stood to acknowledge the applause. She then looked me in the eyes and pointed at me, grabbed her credentials and gave them to me! She and her band then left the stage.
A few years later, in 2004, I again met her at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. She autographed one of her CD's for me, I reminded her of the Taste Addison incident and again asked for her credentials. She smiled and politely turned down my request and explained that they were her admission for the rest of the weekend.
Find out more about Marcia.

At that same concert in Austin, I met Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel fame. I offered to buy him a beer. He said that he'd quit drinking years ago. He's easily approachable.

No comments: