Sunday, June 8, 2008

Collin County Democratic Convention

Those who know me know that my vote in the Democratic Primary, the later-that-evening caucus and my petition to be a Obama delegate to the County Convention had almost everything to do with my disdain for Clinton. Plus, it was almost certain that McCain would win the Republican nomination and I thought attending the Democratic County Convention would be interesting and a learning experience.
Shit.
My mother could have planned a more organized meeting and she died years ago. It was held in the new (and nice) Frisco Convention Center. Upon entering, there were almost 3000 trying to register, but no directional signs and no party representatives to tell you where to go. Some delegates faced east while the others faced west. Turns out you had to register at the only one of several windows that listed your precinct, but that listing wasn't made known until you got to the front of the lines. So I maneuvered to the front, feigned a need to go to the restroom and when I exited simply blended into the correct line. Only word of mouth informed me that I first had to check in with the guy wandering around with the clipboard. I tried to do so, he told me to go to the back of the line, I told him that wasn't going to happen and returned to my spot. He finally came over to me, asked me my precinct number and to see my voter's registration card and told me I wasn't on the list. After I told the dope that he was looking on the wrong precinct page he corrected himself and checked my name off. Word of mouth again informed me that I had to sign a paper on this unmanned table in the middle of a mass of people. I did so and returned to my spot. Finally I reached the window, again showed my voter's registration cardwhich was checked against "the list" and was given my credentials. Mine was blue, for delegate. Some were yellow for alternate. I had entered at 11:30 and it was now 1:00, the time the convention was suppose to start but there were still thousands in line.
The big convention ballroom was packed when the hoohah finally began a little after 3:00. I couldn't find my precinct again due to poor signage (I did later) so I sat at the back and listened to the announced rules and several motions, one of which asked that the numerous seated alternate delegates (yellow credentials) leave the seating area. This motion passed and most did. Then an announcement was made that a certain committee was to meet in a certain room to go over each and every name to insure the authenticity of the delegates per party rules. It was a little after 4:00 and I knew it would be a long day. The lull was broken by periodic requests for money to help defray the costs of renting the place. Around 5:30 the person at the dais said the committee in the room was still checking the authenticity of delegate names and that there would be a break for 30 minutes to an hour. I knew better, but I finally found my precinct group. It was divided between the Obama camp and the Clinton camp, with each one selecting one delegate to attend the State Convention. Those wanting to go were making there spiels about why they should be the one. This made no sense because at the end their credentials were placed into a hat and one was chosen.
Boredom, boredom, boredom, boredom. Nothing happening except more request for money to help pay for the place and the big announcement that they would now take credit cards!
I was hungry but the food was expensive. Some hadn't planned very well and found out that cigarettes weren't sold in the Convention Center. It was now 8:30 and nothing had really happened since around 4:00 (the committee checking names was still meeting) except more requests for money. After hearing that if delegates left the convention they should turn over their credentials to an alternate, I left. And took my blue credentials home. We watched an episode of Dexter on tv.
The next morning's paper didn't have a full report because the convention ran past press deadline. I later heard it ended around midnight-thirty.
One more thing. The County Convention was held on a Sunday because of a next-door Rough Riders game on Saturday and there were parking and traffic concerns. There was later talk about challenging the Collin County delegates in the Rules Committee at the State Convention because the party required senate district and county conventions to be held on Saturday.
It seems the Texas Two-Step was done with two left feet. I'm voting for McCain. But I'm glad I went.


Stymie

No comments: